10 Dec Water Damage: The Fast Affects to Residential & Commercial Properties
The Fast Affects of Water Damage to Residential & Commercial Properties
When it comes to water damage, there’s no such thing as small damage. Most water contains bacteria and it only takes 24 to 48 hours for mold to start growing; therefore, mold can grow quickly after water damage. Water will spread very fast; furthermore, it is very invasive. Your walls, carpeting, furniture and more will absorb water quickly. Cleaning up and drying the water damaged areas within the first 24 hours is crucial to minimize the damage to your property. In addition, it will also help keep repair costs lower.
Water Damage Timeline
- Water quickly spreads throughout your property, in addition to soaking everything in its path.
- Water will be absorbed into walls, flooring, furniture and other belongings.
- Furniture finishes may be damaged in some cases, and can cause staining on carpets.
- Books, photos and other paper goods can be completely ruined.
First 24 Hours:
- Drywall, baseboards, and furniture begin to swell and break down.
- Metal items begin to tarnish.
- Inks and dyes from textiles begin to bleed and stain.
- Musty odor appears.
- Possible mold growth.
48 Hours Later:
- Definite mold growth and spread.
- Windows, doors, wall studs and other building materials begin to swell and warp.
- Metal begins to rust.
- Furniture begins to show signs of mold growth.
- Paint begins to blister.
- Wood flooring begins to swell and warp.
- Serious bio-hazard contamination is possible.
1 Week and Later:
- Repair costs increase drastically.
- Contaminated building materials must be removed and replaced.
- Mold growth spreading, causing more damage.
- Structural safety becomes a concern.
- Possible health risks to occupants.
How to Prevent Busted Pipes in Freezing Weather
- Be prepared during freezing temperatures. Consequently, a little preventative now can also save you from a huge headache.
- Insulate exposed pipes in crawl spaces, unfinished basements and garages.
- Seal all cracks, holes and other openings with insulation or caulk.
- Disconnect exterior hoses.
- Allow all faucets to drip overnight. Subsequently, this will relieve pressure, which is the cause of busted pipes.
- Drain water supply completely if leaving for extended periods of time.
Winter is here whether we like it or not. It is especially relevant to be prepared. And, call The Waterproof Group if you need help.
The Need for Mold Remediation
Mold, if ignored, can consequently cause long-term health issues in addition to physical damage to your home or place of business. Mold growing behind drywall, on insulation, in the basement or crawlspace, and around windows has developed as a result to moisture problems. In addition, to avoid serious issues, it is especially relevant to find the cause and correct the problem. An experienced professional will know exactly what to do to remediate your mold damage. Furthermore, they will also know the right steps and actions that must take place to remove mold and prevent further damage or another problem.
Call The Waterproof Group for a free waterproofing or foundation repair quote today at 678-223-4948.